Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

My top 20 boybands 10 - 1
.
10 - NKOTB- probably one of the first boybands that I was a little bit obsessed with. Who didn't swing their legs from side to side while dancing to The Right Stuff and fall a little bit in love with Jordan?? Oh, just me then. Sadly they peaked and burned too quick even though I loved Step By Step and Tonight. Heck i was so devoted i even bought Dirty Dawg. Now thats dedication - although seeing what a tosser Danny has become on Totally Boyband has soured the memory somewhat...
.
09 - Blue- there have been lots of r'n'b inspired boybands but Blue is really the only one that got me hooked. They were so much better than Another Level and managed to create the exact right blend of pop and r'n'b to hook me in. Some of their best ballads sadly were not released - Best In Me?? - but Fly By, Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word and Bubblin remain sublime pieces of pop...
.
08 - v- Sigh. I had high hopes for V. They seemed to be the new Take That. And one of them was a definite boylover and is now shacked up with some dude from westlife They had some great pop singles that flirted with some minor guitar but still managed to be totally dancey. Of course when their big ballad *only* made number 11 it was soon all over for the poor lads. Probably didn't make much cash either :( I loved them though...
.
07 - Backstreet Boys - probably the best boyband to come out of the USA and happily they are still going and not with dross like the last NKOTB album, but with proper tunes like Poster Girl and Just Want You To Know. I won't drivel on too much about them other than to say they should probably be higher but has produced the best in US teenybop pop.Drowning was a fave of mine for ages!
.
06 - Westlife - I constantly mock them and i think 5 of their last 6 singles have been covers and their last single Amazing owed a huge debt to the act abovebut after the mocking is done, they have great voices and they are incredibly good and successful at what they do so why change what is so successful? You Raise Me Up was one of their best tunes to date, although I am partial to a bit of Fool Again...
.
05 - The Click Five - like V, they only have one album out, so maybe don't deserve to be so high on the list. But, like V, what a corker of an album. This is one where every and any track could be a single. They have a great look, tremendous energy live, a smooth yet somehow raw polished sound and seem like charming lads. I forsee a big future for them that may yet see them move up this list...
.
04 - BBMak- I truly loved both of BBMaks albums. They played all their own instruments, wrote great power pop songs and had the looks and voices to back it up. Why they weren't 2000 times huger than they were continues to baffle me to do this day. Their second album with tracks like Staring At The Sun and After All Is Said And Done remains a modern day pop classic :)
.
03 - Boyzone- the original Westlife! Boyzone benefited hugely from Take That splitting up - how esle would they have lived down that horrendous appearance on some Irish talk show where they all danced incredibly badly. No Matter What is still their crowning moment, but it was a bright day in British pop when Love Me For A Reason bought them to my attention properly some years before that. Sadly defunct now and we only have dreary Ronan to show for it...
.
02 - McFly- probably so high because they are so current, but i love these little scamps and are my current fave boy band obsession. More rock pop than pop rock, their tunes are utterly catchy and adorable, and they aren't afraid to embrace the cheesiness either - their comic relief single was 70s guilty pleasure all over and it was brilliant. Am hoping they will stay together for at least one more album, to split now - like the rumours say - would be criminal. Partial to showing off their cred credentials by covering Killers and Kaiser Chiefs, but let them get on with it I say. Aaah my boys!
.
01 - Take That!!!!- No Surprise then that my most fave boyband ever was the one that launched Robbies career - and the one that thanks to a tv documentary chronicling their success, acrimonious split with the Robster and final days back in 1996 are currently also the hottest boy band in England at the moment(Take That indeed, Upper Street). Every single released was a high quality with Back For Good, Never Forget and Pray being the cream of the crop. New single Patience is a matured elegant sound and I can't wait to hear the new cd...
.
Coming soon - 20 mp3s to go with this post; top 15 girl groups and top twenty pop groups...

Posted by Paul 3:43 PM  

3 Comments:

  1. Poster Girl said...
    Ooo, great top 10! Take That taking the top spot didn't surprise me, though I was surprised to see Blue and Westlife that high (not that they don't deserve to be there, but I just never realized you liked them that much. I also never realized how ahead of the US the UK is in the boyband sweepstakes!).

    I can't stand the "only" just-outside-the-top-ten philosophy that seems so pervasive now...I know the charts reflect sales, not abstract numbers, but I don't understand why #11 should be perceived as a flop.

    I do agree about V and Click Five--despite the one album release, they completely deserve their positions in the chart! So many potential singles that never saw the light of day on both of those albums.
    D'luv said...
    You had me till Westlife... and Boyzone....and McFly....

    "Drowning" is probably one of my rotating BSB faves, though.
    Paul said...
    PG - i tend to keep my love of westlife fairly quiet (see D'Luv's comments!) I think Westlife are a bit unfairly maligned - they do what they do really well and you either like it or you don't. To be fair they featured so high on the list cos i like a lot of their songs rather than whole albums...

    Ah, J'Ason you don't love me for my dubious musical tastes...

Post a Comment