Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

My top twenty boy bands ~ part one
.
20 ~ East 17- back in the early 90s you either liked east 17 or take that. Well I kinda liked both. East 17 were like take thats slightly dirty cousins and I think songs like Deep and Stay Another Day really stand the test of time
.
19 ~ Bad Boys Inc- another early 90s band. I seem to remember they only had one album, but it was a classic boyband album with cheesy pop and ballads. I think Take Me Away was my ultimate fave of theirs...
.
18 ~ Brother Beyond/Worlds Apart- Nathan Moore was the driving force behind Brother Beyond who never had a proper hit til they released a couple of so so Stock Aiken & Waterman numbers back in 1989 when the SAW factory could do no wrong! When their second album bombed, he went on to sing with famous-in-germany boyband Worlds Apart who were ever so slightly better
.
17 ~ N'Sync- I never really took to the Sync, but i thought their album with Bye Bye Bye and Its Gonna Be Me was pretty good and those were two of the best pop songs of the year. At that time Max Martin was producing them, and Britney and the charts were a fun thing to listen to
.
16 ~ Phixx- they were the band that formed out of the losers of Popstars the rivals (that spawned One True Voice and Girls Aloud ) I think Phixx didn't really get a fair crack of the whip because of where they came from, and they were doing that 80s synth sound that is so popular now months before The Killers et al. Hold On Me was a great classic pop song
.
15 ~ Busted/Son Of Dork- have put these two boy bands together as really they are just the same group I loved Busted back when they first came out as they were a real breath of fresh air to the boy band scene and pop as a whole, but now I kinda blame them for the failure of every other cheesy pop group since V... Oh well - you can't top Sleeping With the Lights On as a top top tune
.
14 ~ Bros- Aaah, Bros probably feature a lot higher on here to the Deb Connection. I don't think I would have liked them as much as I did if I hadn't gone to see Bros in2 Summer on 19 Aug 1989 with Deb as the main support act Still they defined a nation of teenage girls at the time, and i thought Too Much was a rather marvelous tune if i recall accurately
.
13 ~ 911- as recently featured on Hit Me Baby One More Time. They weren' the hippest boyband or the best looking but they did write their own tunes and Bodyshakin still gets all the gays on the dancefloor at my local club Despite not being together any more they still pop up on the music tv channels with some regularity!
.
12 ~ Five- Five were brill at the time. They were sort of the antithesis of Boyzone and Westlife and came out with some really great pop-rock tunes. I listened to their greatest hits the other day and was surprised at how many good songs there were on the thing! All went a bit wrong at the end when they recorded their overlooked third album, released it and split up about 3 days later! What a waste of about 3 potentially really good singles
.
11 ~ A1- Aah these sweet lads started out as cheesy pop for the first album, then went all NSync american for the second before becoming the prototype for acts like Mcfly by being *serious musicians* on the third album. Another - we write all our music act, but pretty good with it. Make It Good is one of the best pop songs of the year 2001!
.
Coming soon - 10 - 1!!

Posted by Paul 12:09 PM  

3 Comments:

  1. PinkieDust said...
    Five at no.11?

    Below A1? I question this greatly. Why? A1 only had 1 no.1! Which was a cover.

    Er....5ive(yes 5ive) deserve to be in the top ten for their sample of a musical theme tune alone.
    Poster Girl said...
    I think A1 might have had 2 #1s--"Take On Me" and "Same Old Brand New You"--possibly? They still can't rival Five for chart success, though (nor did they have a member resembling a certain blogger ;) )

    I've never heard of Brother Beyond or Bros (and didn't know of Bad Boys Inc. until you wrote about them recently)--shame on me for slacking on my boy band knowledge!

    I have no idea who your top 10 is going to be, though--ooo, suspense! ;)
    Paul said...
    ah Mr Dust - it's been quiet this weekend without you :) Well seeing as this is a list based on my faves not chart positions, it's ok for A1 to be above 5ive (you are correct to correct me) in my eyes. A1 got props for always being willing to change direction with each album no matter what the commercial consequences. Plus 5ive made number 12 which in itself is a compliment and shows i really did like them. Wait til you see who is higher than that in the top ten! Eep!

    PPG - yay i knew you would like this post. I confess it's one i did on a forum a while back and just tweaked.

Post a Comment